NHS and social care emergency contact information – Christmas and New Year

December 19, 2019

We’re pulling together all of the NHS and Social Care information you need for the Christmas and New Year period.

Where should I go for medical help?


999 should only be used in emergency or life threatening situation.  Here are some examples of situations when you should dial 999 immediately (please note, this list is not exhaustive):

  • Chest pain
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Severe loss of blood
  • Severe burns and scalds
  • Choking
  • Fitting/convulsions
  • Drowning
  • Severe allergic reaction
  • Head injury

Pharmacy Opening Hours


You can call 111 when you need medical help or for an out of hours GP appointment. NHS 111 is a fast and easy way to get the right help; it is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones.

The simple rules are call 111 if:

  • you need medical help but it’s not a 999 emergency
  • you think you might need to go to A&E
  • you don’t know who to call or you don’t have a GP to call
  • your GP surgery isn’t open
  • Dental pain
  • you need health information or reassurance about what to do next 

Social Care

Social care is provided by Kirklees Council and provides people (who need additional support to access services) the opportunity to live independently.

Examples of social care are:

  • Home adaptions and equipment
  • Care home and respite care 
  • Supporting carers
  • Blue badge applications
  • Disability, long term conditions and mental health assistance
  • Safeguarding

The contact number for social care is 01484 414933, this service is available 365 days a year 24 hours a day. 

Please note: On Christmas day, Boxing Day and New Years Day the service can only accept limited numbers of calls and queries.  

Mental Health Support

 If you have already suffered serious harm: Call  999 and ask for an ambulance or go to your nearest accident and emergency (A&E) department.

 If you have thoughts of self-harming, are feeling suicidal or have a life-threatening emergency, contact someone immediately:

Crisis cafe’s are open throughout the Xmas period as usual with additional openings in Huddersfield Friday 13th & 20th December & 10th & 24th January.


  • For 24 hours a day if crisis support contact South West Yorkshire Foundation Trust Single Point of Access Team on:  01924 316830 
  • Speak to a friend, family member or someone you trust
  • Call the Samaritans 24 hour support service on telephone:  116 123
  • Make an urgent appointment to see your GP

Dental Treatment and Emergencies

If you are experiencing dental pain during the Christmas and New Year period contact 111 who can provide emergency dental appointments either in local hospitals or dental practices.  


Sexual health Support

The Locala Sexual Health service have some amended open hours and clinic times over the Christmas period, you can access the full list of the clinics and when they are operating here.

Wellbeing support

The Festive season can be a hard time of year for some people, so all the more reason to get out into the great outdoors and blow away the cobwebs.  


Do not visit either A&E or GPs with symptoms of Norovirus as this may spread the virus.


Staying safe in Kirklees – Winter

For more information about flooding, housing, road closures and gritting please visit  :


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.