Travel Companions – Kirklees
Travel Companions – Step by Step
Travel Companions are volunteers who offer their time to accompany you to appointments, such as hospital visits, or even social groups. They may drive you in their own car, escort you in a taxi or on public transport or maybe even walk you to your appointment at your request. They give company, confidence and friendship, not just a lift! Once you are registered you can access this service as often as you need. We will do our best to find a suitable volunteer, though there may be times when there are none available, so please be prepared for this.
If you wish to book a Travel Companion please follow these guidelines:
- Call 0300 800 0021, giving as much notice as possible, and as much detail about your appointment as possible (at least 3 working days).
- Let us know if you have special requirements, e.g. If you need help getting in and out of a car. All our volunteers are trained, and we have some support equipment available to make your journey more comfortable.
- Once we have the details, we will get back in touch to let you know if we’ve found a volunteer Car Companion, and will confirm the booking with you.
- If the Travel Companion is using their own vehicle, they will keep a log of their mileage, and we will invoice you at the end of the month, charging 72p per mile (inclusive of VAT). This money covers the volunteer’s expenses – never give them money directly for petrol.
- If you travel by taxi you will need cash to pay the fare.
- You may also need change to pay for parking (if you don’t have a blue badge) so please take some change.
To view the enquiry letter please click here: CC Enquiry Letter
To complete the application form please click here: TRAVEL COMPANIONS REGISTRATION FORM